Recipe for traditional butter chicken cooked at home for years by the landlord Chris.
- Chicken breast (cubed) 1 per person
- Chopped garlic 2tsp
- Chopped ginger 2tsp
- Chilli powder 1-2 tsp dependant on taste
- 3 small green chillies
- Pinch of salt
- Coriander powder 1 tablespoon
- 1 large onion
- Cumin seeds half tsp
- Fenugreek leaves half tsp
- 4 tins of chopped tinned tomatoes. Use fresh tomatoes if available and roast off in oven 1st to add flavour
- 100 grams of butter
- Sugar to taste if required
- Tomatoe purée concentrate to taste
- Garam Masalla 1 tablespoon
- Fresh coriander leaf (supplied to us from Herbs Unlimited)
Fry the chicken, garlic, chopped fresh chilli, chilli powder, salt and coriander powder only saute don’t cook through. Take chicken out and put to one side.
Add a small amount of water to the pan to loosen it up and add the cumin seeds, chopped onion, a pinch of ginger and the fenugreek leaves and cook for around 3 minutes.
Add 2 more fresh green chopped chillies (or to taste) and transfer all the contents to a large saucepan and add the tomatoes. Put a lid on and simmer for 15 minutes.
Transfer the ingredients from the pan to a blender and blend until smooth then return to pan and add the butter, half a cup of cream and the chicken. Cook for a further 10 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and add the Garam masala at end of cooking.
Serve with pilau rice and or a naan if required. Garnish with fresh coriander leaf.
Or if that seems too much trouble for you Just come to the George as Butter Chicken is always on our new menu.